In light of the Covid-19 pandemic and the current steps being taken to mitigate its spread, the Faculty of Science and Technology, UWI, Mona and The Faculty of Sports and Science, UTech, Ja. have decided to postpone the staging of the FORECAST 2020 conference. Please check this website for any updates. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us via email.
Frequently Asked Questions
FORECAST 2022 FAQs
1. When will registration open?
Registration for the FORECAST Conference is now open. Registration closes Aug 12, 2022
2. What time zone will be used?
All times are GMT-5 (Jamaica time)
3. What is the registration cost?
Early Registration closes July 15: Standard USD100; Student USD50. General registration runs from July 16 – Aug 12: Standard USD120; Student USD60.
4. What does registration include?
Access to the FORECAST Conference’s virtual platforms, all presentations, abstracts, poster sessions, orientation and social sessions, virtual networking with other conference participants and videos showcasing campuses and research activities.
5. What is the registration cancelation policy?
The registration cost is non-refundable.
6. May I register for individual events?
No, there is only one registration option which includes all aspects of the conference.
7. May I share my virtual conference login information with another person/ other members of my team?
No, registration is on an individual basis. Multiple, simultaneous access using one individual’s login credentials will not be permitted.
8. May I invite my friends to attend FORECAST Conference?
During the FORECAST Conference accepted abstracts will be available for viewing on the conference’s virtual platform by registered participants only. After the FORECAST Conference, abstracts will be archived to the UWI Mona Faculty of Science and Technology website and the book of abstracts that will be subsequently published.
11. Will the presentations be pre-recorded or live?
· Oral presentations will be live during the scheduled sessions. · Poster presentations will be available for viewing on the FORECAST Conference platform and during the poster session. Further, authors of posters may include a pre-recorded presentation that will be available for the duration of the conference.
12. Will I be able to ask the presenters questions?
Yes, oral and poster presentation sessions will include question and answer segments. However other presentations, such as the keynote address, will not include a question-and-answer segment.
1. Is there a physical location in which the conference is being held?
· No, it is entirely virtual on Gather.Town. https://www.gather.town/ · Gather is a video chat platform designed to make virtual interactions more human. The platform has a conference layout which allows participants, via their avatars, to virtually attend presentations, view posters and interact with other participants.
2. How may I get access to the Virtual Conference?
After registration and payment, prior to the FORECAST Conference, credentials to access Gather, will be emailed to attendees.
3. When will I receive the instructions for attending the virtual conference?
Access information will be emailed prior to the start of the FORECAST Conference.
3. Will Technical Support be available if I have issues?
Yes, some (limited) technical support will be made available for issues related to the FORECAST Conference and the virtual platforms upon which it will be hosted.
4. How can I ask questions at a Virtual Conference?
In Zoom you will be able to virtually raise your hand and type in the chat.
5. Will there be a social program? Will I be able to network and meet other virtual attendees?
· Gather has a feature called a proximity chat (which permits one and one conversations with people you meet at the FORECAST Conference) and private spaces. · There will also be a virtual orientation and welcome party on the eve of FORECAST Conference.
The University of the West Indies (Cave Hill, Mona and St Augustine) and the University of Technology, Jamaica present, The Frontiers of Research in Caribbean Science and Technology (FORECAST) Conference 2022. The theme of this inaugural staging is “Science & Technology: a D.R.I.V.E.R. of transformation”.